Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tell your children!

Actually, this pamphlet (also from my local police department) is called "How to tell if a kid is on drugs and what to do about it!"



The next page advises, "If you suspect that your child is using drugs, question everything. Make sure you monitor what your child is doing as much as possible."


This is what the "protectors" of our communities have been telling our parents: If your child begins to experience any changes, invest a sudden interest in their activities. Pay attention not because you care about your kids, but because you care if they're using drugs. Also, since "these signs may indicate a problem other than drug use" (for example, "a lack of concern for appearance or hygeine" may actually indicate being a communist, practicing witchcraft, or having an unhealthy obsession with the conservation of spotted owls), "drugs, traces of drugs, and drug paraphernalia are more direct evidence of drug use." So in other words, look for direct evidence. Perhaps try drug testing. It's perfectly legal for parents to find the evidence without a warrant. However, "Be prepared that your child will probably lie, and you may have to seek outside help." So please feel free to invite your friends from the police department over.



You know what, Officer What's-Your-Name? Don't you talk about my mother that way. (Of course it comes as no surprise that there wasn't any harm reduction literature.)

3 comments:

JT Barrie said...

Huh? Police warning parents that kids will lie about drug use. I suppose, if you consider that police lie about the history of drug prohibition with impunity all the time and lie to suspects to gain access for searches, they speak with expertise. It takes a liar to detect a liar.
I know that I have a difference of opinion on this issue. I would rather legalize all drugs and let the police go after those who cause problems because they are using - rather than go after the tens of thousands who cause problems because they are NOT using. Of course, if they are legal and cheap then you will have to worry about the hundreds who may start causing problems because the drugs are cheaper. But at least you won't have to worry about the thousands who cause problems because they don't like other people who sell these highly profitable drugs.
Of course, parents can always deflect any criticism of their parenting by blaming possible drug use for the child's behavior. After all, it couldn't possibly be their fault [abusive parents never admit responsibility for own misconduct]!

Unknown said...

Is there a higher resolution version of this available? I'd like to know exactly what the "signs" are - you know, so that I can tell if I'm doing drugs or not.

I remember a long time ago seeing a handbook that advised police officers to recognize the acute effects of specific drugs, and it listed "articulate / philosophical speech patterns" as an effect of "hallucinogens." Has anyone else seen this? I'd love to figure out where it was from.

Rebecca Ogle said...

I apologize, Justin. My internets are not being a very friendly series of tubes right now, which makes simple blog editing quite difficult and maddening. But the connection worked long enough for me to fix it - the image now links to a higher resolution version.

And also, haha. Philosophical speech patterns. Usin' dem big words. I don't know if I've seen that one, but I do plan to infiltrate my old high school and see if there's anything equally priceless in their pamphlets.